Developer, contractor cited in Sunny Isles Beach condo explosion

By Deborah Goonan, Independent American Communities Blog


Last Friday, a gas explosion occurred while plumbers were purging the gas lines on the top floor of the luxury condo tower, Château Beach Residences, currently under construction. Fortunately the building was only occupied by a few residents, and most units are still vacant or under construction. Two plumbers were injured on the job. An ignition caused the sprinkler system to go off, soaking two floors of empty units. Gaping holes were ripped through exterior walls in the boiler room, as debris fell from the 34 story building, injuring several others below.

It could have been much worse, had the building been fully occupied. The city had to close off a portion of the street, snarling traffic for hours.

Although the explosion was ruled “accidental,” both the developer and general contractor have been cited for their unsafe gas-purging maintenance procedure. The city has also revoked all occupancy permits, forcing current residents to move out of the building until further notice.

You can see the extent of the damage in the video.

This incident highlights the need for better training of our construction tradespeople, from general laborers on up to site management.

Sunny Isles Beach condo tower cited after explosion injures 6

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close