Chicago condo owner’s long-running Fair Housing case settled

By Deborah Goonan, Independent American Communities Last week Michael Novak, a plaintiff in a fair housing lawsuit against State Parkway Condominium Association and others, distributed a news release announcing an out-of-court settlement of his 13-year-long dispute over his family’s service animal. The Novaks, who are both deaf, live with their daughter and a service dog named Hera. Hera alerts the Novaks to doorbells, ringing telephones, alarms, and other situations that hearing people take for granted. Continue ReadingChicago condo owner’s long-running Fair Housing case settled

Why did condo board delay informing owners about offer to purchase entire building?

by Deborah Goonan, Independent American Communities State Parkway Condominium, located on the Gold Coast in Chicago, has had more than its share of financial controversy. In July, the Association passed a $500,000 special assessment to cover the cost of ongoing legal fees, most of them related to lawsuits against a single condo owner, and former board member, Michael Novak. Troubles began roughly eleven years ago, when the condo association refused to accommodate the Novak family’s Continue ReadingWhy did condo board delay informing owners about offer to purchase entire building?

Insurer denies coverage to Chicago condo association, owners to pay $500K in legal expenses

By Deborah Goonan, Independent American Communities It has been a while since my last article on the long-running legal battle between State Parkway Condominium Association and condo owner Michael J. Novak. Well, the legal battle rages on, as reported in Loop North News. (See below) Novak, a Certified Public Accountant, continues his fight for access to financial records that he says the condo association still refuses to produce. Novak says that, according to his financial analysis, Continue ReadingInsurer denies coverage to Chicago condo association, owners to pay $500K in legal expenses

Chicago homeowners unable to override condo board’s $500K special assessment

By Deborah Goonan, Independent American Communities   UPDATE on State Parkway Condo Association’s vote on special assessment: According to condo owner Michael Novak, State Parkway Condominium Association’s accountant, James P. Cherep, MBA, CFE, has officially tabulated condo association member votes with regard to the board-approved $500,000 special assessment. Only 29.05% of association membership voted to veto the board’s special assessment. The remaining 70.95% of condo owners abstained from voting. Non-votes are automatically presumed to be Continue ReadingChicago homeowners unable to override condo board’s $500K special assessment